Monday, August 24, 2015

La Jerga


Doctora: “Díme, ¿ qué son los síntomas Usted tiene?

Paciente: “Es como, veo un’ moca, un’ moca.”  

<me mira, con duda>

Paciente: “¿Sabes qué es, un’ moca?”

Doctora: “¿Usted ve ‘un moca’? No, no lo sé. ¿ Qué es un moca?”

Paciente: <mucha risa>

Later in the day long after the patients had gone home, I asked one of the ophthalmic technicians in the practice who is Puerto Rican and Spanish-speaking, what IS a ‘moca’? What was this patient talking about?
She laughed and told me he was saying “mosca” which right away I recognized as a fly. Because the patient left out the “s” sound when saying ‘mosca’, I had no idea what word he was trying to communicate. When people don’t fully pronounce words, or slur their speech, it can be very difficult to figure out what they’re saying. But, usually if this happens in English, I can figure it out. In a language non-native to me, however, I rely on every sound, every inflection, to get the meaning right. And if the sound I’m expecting isn’t there, then I feel very much like someone lost in the woods without a compass. I have no idea where I’m going. Or where the speaker is coming from.

Recently, I came across an interesting article on the American Translator Association website entitled, “La jerga de los médicos y de los pacientes” (Doctor and Patient Jargon). The article’s authors, Becky Katz and Rudy Heller, attended the Congress Division in Orlando during which physician Dr. Fernando Navarro presented euphemisms doctors and patients use to describe otherwise unpleasant or intimidating medical conditions and/or bodily functions. Dr. Navarro went on to describe vocabulary that doctors use with their patients that may be misinterpreted or misunderstood based on pronunciation alone or how the pronunciation is perceived. He goes on to give examples first in English:

Varicose veins = very close veins

Very high electrolytes = very high electric lights

Superficial phlebitis = superstitious fleabites     <hahaha, I can’t help but chuckle at that one!>

(I even remember one such misinterpretation from my medical school days:
Cystic fibrosis = sixty-five roses)!

Dr. Navarro then presented similar problems (referred to as ‘barbarismos’) in the Spanish language:

Otorrino = Doctor Rino

Cesárea = necesaria

Ataque de insulina = ataque de ursulina <chuckle>

And the list goes on and on...Something is being said, but is not necessarily heard as was intended. Inevitably, it leads to good-natured humor and a hearty laugh. From there continues a conversation of clarification, as I experienced during another patient conversation:

Doctora: “Bueno. Tengo que decirle, que Usted tiene ojos muy sanos.”
Paciente: <me mira confundido>  “¿’Sano’? ¿Qué es ‘sano’?”
Doctora: “Saludable. Usted tiene ojos saludables – sanos.”
Paciente: “Ahhh...(relajado)”

I’m still not quite sure why the patient didn’t understand me when I used the word ‘sano’for 'healthy'. No one else ever had a problem understanding me. But then again, maybe he heard something different. A little clarification was all that was needed to do the trick. Oh, and by the way, because of my experience confusing ‘moca’ and ‘mosca’, my mind is now keyed into that sound variation. Just yesterday a patient came to the office as an emergency visit, again with similar symptoms of floaters in the eye:

Doctora: "Se dice aquí que ¿Usted ve un cambio en la visión?"
Paciente: "No hay un cambio en la visión, es sólo que, ahora, en el ojo derecho, veo pajaritos – es como un’ moca."
Doctora: "Ajj, Usted ve moscas, ¿ o manchitas en su campo visual?"
Paciente: <muy profundo> "¡Sí! Sí, veo manchitas, hace más o menos tres días ahora..."

And the dialogue continued, unperturbed by a dropped syllable.

For more information on Becky Katz & Rudy Heller’s article, you can find it here at:




Bryce Canyon, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment