Monday, September 14, 2015

Letters & Numbers



When I was a resident working at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan, the majority of my patients were immigrants freshly arrived to the U.S. from all parts of the world. Most did not know English, and required the intervention of a third party interpreter for the completion of their health care exams. Of course, it was always easier for me to communicate on a one-on-one basis with those patients from Spanish-speaking countries, because I had a fair command of the language and didn’t need to use the LanguageLines telephone interpreter otherwise provided. 

During my time there, one experience that I would come across time and again was a patient who would struggle to read the letters I put up on the screen. I would look at their age and think to myself, ‘it’s probably nuclear sclerosis, or perhaps some macular chorioretinal scarring, or corneal scarring or astigmatism, that is contributing to their difficulty’. And I would proceed to do the refraction and find no improvement. And then I would do the exam which revealed no cataracts or corneal or retinal scarring, and I would wonder why I was not getting a better visual acuity measurement. Was it amblyopia?

Many times the patient didn’t say anything to me. He would just struggle through the lines. Or he would  ask me if he could say the letters to me in Spanish, but still struggle through. One or two letters would come in loud and clear on the 20/80 line, but not much else. Just for good measure, I would put numbers on the screen.  All of a sudden, a break-through occurred. The 20/80 line plunged down to 20/30, as the patient quickly read the numbers on the wall. 

There were patients who would even struggle with the numbers, and for those I would use the tumbling E’s which, when the patient pointed out all the line directions correctly, would confirm my suspicion. That is, that I was dealing with a literacy issue and not a visual one. 

According to Wikipedia, the definition of functional illiteracy is “ having inadequate reading or writing skills in a language, as would be required for daily living and employment tasks that require reading beyond a basic level”. The article goes on to say that a foreigner living in a country with a language non-native to his own which he cannot read or write is considered functionally illiterate.
My blog has been born from the fact  that the majority of patients in the community where I work are functionally illiterate. Outside their very insular Latino community within the borders of their town, they cannot communicate with the English-speaking world. But, the majority are literate in their own native language of Spanish.

However, there are still some patients that I come across who, unfortunately, may not have had access to education in their home country. Although they can communicate easily orally in Spanish, which does not give any indication of a deficit, when confronted with reading tasks such as visual acuity taking, the problem emerges. If a doctor is not thinking about the possibility of illiteracy, then it is very easy to assume that the problem is solely visual.

A literacy chart provided by the United States CIA Factbook from 2003 looks at the literacy rates of various Central & South American countries and compares them to those of the U.S. at that time. ‘Literacy’ was defined as ‘age 15 and older that can read & write’.  In 2003, the literacy rate in the U.S. was 99% of the total population. By comparison, Puerto Rico was 94.1%. The highest rates behind the U.S. came from Uruguay 98% and Argentina 97%. The lowest were Nicaragua 67.5%, Guatemala 70.6%, Honduras 76.2%, El Salvador  80.2% and Peru at 87.7%. More recent estimates from 2012-2015 show an increase for all said countries, but still trailing behind the U.S.: Uruguay 98.5%, Argentina 97.9%, Nicaragua 82.8%, Guatemala 83.4%, Honduras 88.5%, El Salvador 88% and Peru 94.5%. 

With better access to education for all citizens, literacy rates will continue to improve world-wide. This is still an ongoing work-in-progress. Until literacy is achieved for all, doctors working with an immigrant population need to think about not only functional literacy in their multicultural practices, but also the general literacy of their patients. This issue needs to be considered, particularly if the eye exam points to a 20/20 eye, but the visual acuity result says otherwise.

References

 
Ĩitaj znakove, Hrvatska

No comments:

Post a Comment