Monday, October 5, 2015

Internet, M.D.

There was a time when the only access patients had to information regarding their health care or other medical problems was through their physician. And physicians, as the gatekeepers of this information, were viewed with a level of respect because of this unique knowledge that they possessed. I was a child of the 1980s and had one such family physician who was lauded in the community where I grew up. He was a good man, an intelligent one. I remember my mother bringing me into his office one night after school. I was coming down with some common school-age malady. As I was sitting in his waiting room near my mother’s side, sniffling, sneezing and wincing at the pain in my throat with every swallow, I looked around the room and watched as patients were called back, one by one, for their examination. I watched as people trudged toward the nurse at the call of their name, heavy with what seemed to be the weight of the world on their shoulders. But after a time, the door to the exam room opened and they would walk out, with more vigor and purpose, with a look of calm or even the hint of a smile on their face. And I thought to myself, my God, what kind of man is this? This doctor has the power to take a sick, unhappy, unhealthy patient-- and heal him – body and soul,  restoring him to his former self! I thought to myself, I would like to be like this man, to heal people—and make them well again. He has the answer for every problem, and patients seek him out, looking for the answers.

My childhood was also unique in that it spanned the growth and movement of computer technology into the private sector. I remember being taught in elementary school how to write program lines in DOS. As I continued to move through primary school,  high school and college, I watched as computers relied less and less on a user’s knowledge of programming to perform tasks and instead provided user-friendly interfaces so that anyone, even those without a technology background, could find them easy to use.  Then came the late 90s and the advent of the Internet which over the years grew and flourished to become a place where people anywhere at anytime can find out information – readily available at the tips of their fingers.

Some of the information people choose to seek is information regarding their health and medical problems.

Thus sprang forth WebMD, MedlinePlus, MedicineNet and a slew of other sites. Now, physicians are no longer the gatekeepers of medical information. Now, all a person needs is access to an internet provider to diagnose himself. Now, a person can forego years of medical education and sacrifice because he himself can do a review of systems, generate a differential, consider the appropriate studies, interpret the studies, diagnose and suggest treatment – because all of that information is available to him at the touch of a button. Right? Well, not exactly.

Some of my colleagues over the years have viewed the ease of access to medical information online in a negative light. They feel that there is a certain loss of respect for doctors that has occurred because doctors are no longer the only sources of medical information for their patients. As a doctor myself who examines and treats many patients every day in the office, I do understand on a very personal level why some physicians feel this way. I always have a few patients, few as they may be, who come in with a pre-conceived diagnosis who are unwilling to accept my explanation of their condition because they have read (or interpreted) something ‘different‘ online. (see my previous blog entry “ A Stye Caused My Presbyopia” ).

In the past, when I encountered these patients, I have to admit I would be disappointed because I felt that I could not overcome the wall they set up in order to educate them appropriately about their condition. However, I’m feeling less and less of that frustration these days. At some point I decided to take their faith in the Internet and make it work for me.

As an ophthalmologist, I truly love the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s website: www.geteyesmart.org which also has an equivalent Spanish-language version: www.ojossanos.org .  It is trusted and correct information regarding eye disease and treatment, because it comes directly from the Academy and is updated frequently to keep up with advances and changes in the field of ophthalmology. It is written in plain language, so people without a medical background can understand the topics with ease. Further, every eye disease is broken down into its definition, symptoms to look for, studies, exam, diagnosis and treatment. Patients can easily click on their topic of choice and share that topic with their friends or family through Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or any other number of social sites. Best of all, the articles instruct patients to review the information presented them, formulate questions and review their unanswered questions and concerns with their physician.

The reality is that today, we physicians are still the gatekeepers. We may no longer be the sole proprietors of the keys to medical information.  But, we’ll always be the master interpreters of this information. Data means nothing unless it can be analyzed and put to appropriate use.

“Quiero repasar todo la información de su examen. Los nervios ópticos son sospechosos para una condición se llama  ‘glaucoma de ángulo abierto’.”

“¿Qué significa eso?”

“Glaucoma es una enfermedad del nervio óptico que, poco a poco en tiempo, puede resultar en daño del nervio, y el paciente pierde la visión periférica.”

“¿Podemos curarlo?”

“No hay cura, pero podemos pararlo con tratamiento en la forma de colirio.”

<el médico le da al paciente un papel con escritura>

“Aquí puede encontrar el enlace para un sitio en la red “ojossanos” donde hay más información de esta enfermedad y tratamiento. Después de leerlo, si tenga preguntas, por favor, llámeme.”


“Está bien, gracias.”

Open Roads, Monument Valley, Utah


No comments:

Post a Comment