Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The Thinker


Sometimes when I’m speaking to a patient in Spanish, I’ll think of something that I want to say to him that I could easily say in English, but I do not know exactly how to convey in Spanish. Especially if it’s a colloquialism, there is usually not a direct English to Spanish translation. You simply have to know the Spanish language-way to express it. In these instances,  I have to make a quick decision: either abandon the phrase altogether or attempt my own Spanish version.  The latter may result in a complete butchering of the language—oftentimes, it does! So, after the patient leaves, I typically write these phrases down on paper and save them for investigation later.  By the end of the week, I’m left with random phrases on little pieces of paper that add up to quite a collection. For this blog entry, I’m going to list some of these phrases below, translate them the way I would if I had a patient in front of me, but then research to see how the phrase really should be expressed by a native Spanish-speaker for comparison. Here we go!


“The disease has to run its course.”

My translation:  Esta enfermedad requiere más tiempo para curar.

Actual: Esta enfermedad tiene que seguir su curso.
             Esta enfermedad debe tener su curso.
             Esta enfermedad tiene que completar su evolución.



“When your medication runs low, please call the office.”

My translation:  Cuando casi ha acabado los medicamentos, por favor, llame la oficina.

Actual: Cuando quedan pocos los medicamentos, por favor, llame la oficina.
             Por favor, llame la oficina antes de se terminen los medicamentos.



“When you hit your eye, what were your symptoms?”

My translation: Cuando le golpeó el ojo, ¿qué fueron los síntomas?

Actual: Cuando le ha dado un golpeo al ojo¿qué fueron los síntomas?
             Cuando se golpeó el ojo,...
             Cuando se ha golpeado el ojo,...



“It is important that you keep your follow-ups with your doctor, so that he monitors for any changes in blood pressure.”

My translation: Es importante que mantenga usted las citas de seguimiento con su médico, por eso, él le pueda vigilar para cambios en la presión de la sangre.

Actual: Es importante que cumpla con sus citas médicas, para que el médico mantenga una observación de los cambios en la presión de la sangre.
             Es importante que asista a sus citas médicas, para que el médico pueda averiguar para cambios en la presión arterial.
             Es importante que usted vaya a la cita de seguimiento, para que el médico pueda vigilar para cambios en la presión sanguínea.




He thought that you had these symptoms for many years.”

My translation: Él pensó de que tuviera usted los síntomas para muchos años.

Actual: Él pensaba que usted hubiera tenido los síntomas por muchos años.
 Él pensaba que usted tuviera los síntomas durante muchos años.



Let’s say, for example, the test was normal. I would not start those drops you are using.

My translation: Vamos a decir, por ejemplo, que el examen fuera normal. Yo no empezaría los colirios que está utilizando.

Actual: Se podría decir, por ejemplo, que fuera* normal la prueba. Yo no tendría que empezar los colirios que está utilizando.
            Digamos, por ejemplo, si la prueba fuera normal. Yo no habría empezado las gotas que utiliza usted.
            Pongamos en caso, que el examen fuera normal. Yo no iniciaría las gotas que utiliza usted.
(*Even with my research, I am still not fully clear on the proper expression of this sentence. To me, by beginning the phrase with, “let’s say, for example”, I’m creating a hypothetical situation that is uncertain.  Therefore, any uncertainty is expressed in subjunctive. If you use subjunctive, ie fuera, then you follow it with the conditional tense, tendría.)



“It depends on the insurance. They dictate where you have to go (for the treatment).”

My translation: Depende del seguro. El seguro dirige a donde tiene que ir (para el tratamiento).

Actual: Depende de la compañía aseguradora. El seguro le indicará donde tiene que ir.
             Depende del seguro médico. El seguro le exige donde va usted.
             Depende del seguro médico. El seguro le aconseja donde puede ir usted.



There are many ways to express any one particular thought in a language. As you can clearly see, some of my translations above came very close to what I found in parallel texts (aka Spanish reference texts) online. Others deviated from the Spanish “norm”.  However, the question remains, will the patient understand me, even if I don’t say my phrases according to the RAE (Real Academía Española- the governing body for all things Spanish language-related)? The answer is yes.
Think about it, when a non-native English speaker has said something to you in an “unnatural” aka "non-native" way, you can still understand him. You still get the gist of what is being said. Why? Well, we don’t need precisely correct grammar to convey understanding. Ideally we strive for correct grammar, but it is not always necessary to get the point across. My advice is to keep practicing. When a phrase pops into your head that you want to try to express in your non-native language, go for it! But write these phrases down for later investigation, to see how close you are to what a native speaker would say to convey the same idea. In this way, your command of any language will continue to improve day by day.



References

Phrases. 2017. In Linguee.es. Retrieved July 25, 2017, from http://www.linguee.es/  

The Thinker, The Gates of Hell, Musée Rodin

No comments:

Post a Comment